Bake whenever and anywhere you want. That’s my mantra, and it’s something I’d want to inspire everyone to do. My Best-Ever Vanilla Mug Cake, decked out with sprinkles, is a perfect example of one of my easiest (and, more importantly, delicious) recipes that take that motto to the fullest extent.
“Go raibh mle maith agaibh,” as Irish people are used to say. It means “Thank you a million times.” I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to thank you all enough.
What Is A Microwave Mug Cake?
Mug cakes are simply cakes you can make in a mug! Isn’t it just a cake in a cup?
No. That’s not all they are.
They’re not just simple to make using items you probably already have in your cupboard, but they’re also single-serving size. elevated cake because it steams in the microwave rather than drying out in the oven.
They’re a perfect treat without having to make a full batch or a delicious sneaky snack in the middle of the night. Just a few ingredients, in a matter of minutes, and all for you.
NEW: If you need something larger, try my new Cake Bowl recipe!
Choosing The Right Vanilla Extract
Any vanilla extract you may have will certainly work in this recipe, but to bring it to the next level I highly suggest making your own (and EASY) DIY vanilla extract! It lasts long, tastes delicious, and is really simple to create.
What You Need To Make A Vanilla Mug Cake
Mixing bowls? What are cake pans? What is a sifter? Get the hell out of here! A wonderful, fast vanilla mug cake just need three M’s:
- Measuring spoons (you don’t even need measuring cups! )
Then you’ll be “Mmm’ing” throughout your kitchen.
How To Make A Vanilla Mug Cake
It simply takes four steps to make a vanilla mug cake. Here’s how easy it is (and don’t forget to get the full recipe with measurements, on the page down below):
- Whisk together the dry ingredients — flour, sugar, and baking powder — in a microwave-safe cup.
- Combine milk, oil, and vanilla into the mug. Mix in the sprinkles!
- Microwave for 45 seconds to 1 minute, or until the mixture is firm to the touch.
- Enjoy with some icing, vanilla ice cream, or whipped cream!
If you’re looking for some ideas, check out my Best-Ever Buttercream Frosting, handmade Whipped Cream in a Mason Jar, and even my Homemade Ice Cream Recipe with Just 2 Ingredients!
Gemma’s Pro Tips To Making Mug Cakes
- Don’t overwork the batter! That will seem tempting, but just combine all of the ingredients. Otherwise, you’ll end up with a difficult cake.
- Don’t overheat the food! When you microwave on high, check after 45 seconds and add more time if necessary.
- Still want a fast cake but don’t have a microwave? You can bake this recipe at 350 °F (180°C) for around 10 minutes — just make sure your mug is rated for that temperature.
- There should be no metal or metallic paint on your cup. I’m sure there are plenty of YouTube videos (not on our channel!) that show why this would be a terrible idea.
How To Prepare A Vanilla Mug Cake In Advance
My vanilla mug cake is best served right away, but you can make a batter and store it in the fridge for 48 hours, then microwave it whenever inspiration strikes.
I love this recipe. It’s quick, it’s delicious, and The kids can help (and even create one if they want a snack and you have a Zoom conference)! There’s honestly no better way to treat yourself than this vanilla and sprinkle mug cake — even if you just need a delicious pick-me-up!
Additionally, just so you know, the sprinkles are optional. highly encouraged.
Get More Microwave Mug Desserts!
- Best-Ever Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe
- Microwave Jelly Donut in a Mug (Mugnut!)
- 1-Minute Microwave Mug Brownie
- Microwave Mug Pecan Pie