- 250g pack softened butter, plus extra for the tins
- 100ml chilled strong black coffee (prepared with 2 tbsp coffee granules)
- 280g self-raising flour
- 250g golden caster sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 85g walnut, 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped, remaining finely chopped
For the filling
- 100g sifted icing sugar, plus a little more for dusting
- 150ml double cream
- 100g mascarpone, at room temperature
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 5. 4. Butter 2 x 20cm springform cake tins and line with baking parchment. 2 tbsp of the coffee should be set aside for the filling.
- STEP 2In a large mixing basin, whisk together the butter, flour, sugar, baking powder, eggs, vanilla, and half of the remaining coffee until smooth. Stir in the finely chopped walnuts, then divide among the muffin cups and distribute evenly. Sprinkle the walnuts on top of one of the cakes. Bake the cakes for 25-30 mins until golden and risen, and a skewer poked in comes out clean. Pour the leftover coffee over the basic cake. Let the cakes to cool in their pans.
- STEP 3Meanwhile, make the filling: beat together the icing sugar, cream and mascarpone, then fold in the reserved 2 tbsp coffee. Cover the basic cake with the frosting, then top with the walnut-topped cake and sprinkle with icing sugar.
Recipe from Good Food magazine, August 2012
Why is my coffee and walnut cake dry?
The ratio of wet to dry components impacts a cake’s moisture level. A cake will taste dry if there is just too much flour and not enough butter. A cake, on the other hand, will taste overly moist if there is too much milk and not enough flour.
Can you add coffee to box cake mix?
1 tablespoon coffee is dissolved in 1 1/4 cups water. Prepare cake batter according to package directions, substituting coffee mixture for water. Bake and chill according to package directions.
What makes coffee cake different from cake?
Coffee cakes stand apart from other cakes because of their streusel topping and because, although they might have a little glaze drizzled on top, they are not frosted. Some have a streusel swirl in them, while others are packed with fruit, nuts, or chocolate.
Should a coffee and walnut cake be refrigerated?
Most sponge cakes, like this coffee walnut cake, can keep at room temperature for approximately 3 days if stored in an airtight container. When sponge cakes are kept in the fridge, they might get a touch dry. Just cut the cake into pieces, cover in cling film, and place in the freezer.