This Tutti Frutti cake has all the flavor of a freshly made spongy vanilla cake. If you are looking for an easy Tea time cake recipe then, make this spongy, airy, fluffy, tender, moist bakery style Tutti Frutti Cake with the help of my Step By Step method. This delicious Tutty Fruity cake, packed with colorful candied papaya chunks, will not disappoint.
Tutti Frutti Cake Recipe (Step by Step)
Let’s start baking, shall we? With little bit of chit chat & a pipping hot cup of Coffee or Chai, whatever you prefer & later this extremely delicious Tutti Frutti Cake.
Baking is a kind of therapy for many people, including myself. If you have been baking or just started playing around with baking cakes & more you definitely get my point 🙂
I’ve been baking for quite some time, 14 years to be exact. Previously it was all spoon fed & collected recipes & later a few experiments here & there.
And today’s Tutty Fruti Cake is one such cake that failed me so many times. No way! Not with this recipe!
I tried several recipes from the web, some were too dense, a few ultra moist, the eggless Tutti Frutti Cake was super dry, and a few fluffed up so much that they exploded & fell apart…. Lol!
Oh! what a mess & what wastage of ingredients!
I did nothing wrong in my 14 years of baking expertise; it’s simply that I learnt my lesson well – not all recipes are reliable.
Several site recipes were tasty, but the bakery-style Tutti Frutti Cake flavor was lacking.
So, people, the entire purpose of my giving you all these random information is this.
I had to play around a little with this Indian Tea Time Cake recipe to come up with today’s no-fail Tutti Frutti Cake recipe that’s absolutely wonderful in every aspect and filled with everything nice.
After all, you deserve the best dishes all the time.
So, if you’re one of my favorite readers, try this Tea Time Cake once and come back for more. I’ll be baking and sharing a bit more these days.
FAQs – Tutti Frutti Cake
What is Tutti Frutti made from or Tutti Frutti meaning
Tutti Frutti are little bits of candied fruit that are incredibly colorful and are often used in baking or preparing ice cream.
In India Tutti Frutti is made from raw candied papaya pieces. Artificial food colors make them vibrant and appealing.
Tutti Frutti Taste
Tooty Fruits have no distinguishing aroma or flavor.
They are similar to other candied fruits in that they taste delicious but not too so, are chewy and gummy (remember gummy bears!)
How do you store Tutti Frutti
- For 10 days, keep them in an airtight jar at room temperature.
- If you want to store them beyond the 10 days mark just pop them in the fridge. They last for 6 months.
What is Tutti Frutti Cake
Tutti Frutti Cake is a wonderful multicolored tea-time cake in the form of a loaf that is famous in Indian bakeries.
A Tutti Frutti Cake is
- Not ultra moist
- It resembles a perfect sponge cake in every way.
This Indian tea time cake is made vivid by the inclusion of brilliant candied papaya segments.
Adults and children alike appreciate a Tutty Fruity cake as a regular snacking cake with a hot coffee, particularly around late afternoon tea time.
Today’s dish, the Britania Tooty Fruti Cake, is quite similar to the flavor of Britania Cakes found in India.
14 Tricks to make the best Bakery style Tutti Frutti cake every single time
Get The Basics Right
- Bring all the ingredients at room temperature.
- While creating baked goods, use fresh leavening agents such as baking powder and baking soda. Utilize expired or outdated items as cleaning agents. You might think that they are just powders & they never go bad, but they do loose their potent.
- If the eggs are too cold, place them in warm water for a few minutes to warm them up.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light, frothy, and airy. Both hand and machine whisks work nicely. You only need a bit extra time to whisk them by hand.
- Beat them at a modest pace. To hasten the process, never beat them at full speed. Overbeating is harmful.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, until smooth, light, and thoroughly combined with the creamy butter and sugar (refer the pics).
- To keep the Tutti Frutti from sinking to the bottom of the cake, coat them with 1 tbsp Maida or all-purpose flour before adding them to the batter.
- After adding the Tutti Frutti to the cake batter do not beat just fold with the help of a spatula. We don’t want to knock out the batter’s air.
- Always sift the dry ingredients into the liquid components for a light, airy, fluffy cake.
- Grease the cake mold well and line it with parchment paper or flour/maida.
- Do not try to de-mold the cake when it’s hot. It may come apart since it is quite sensitive when warmed.
- Let the Tutti Frutti cake to cool fully before slicing after around 15-20 minutes on a wire rack.
- Do not open the oven door for the first 30 mins because the temperature in the oven drops suddenly. It’s a simple way to keep the cake from sinking.
- Do the toothpick test. Since every oven is different, your cake may take 4-5 minutes longer to bake than mine. It’s not a huge problem; simply probe it to see if it’s done.
FLAT TOP SECRET
A Flat Top Cake isn’t required for today’s loaf since we won’t be decorating or frosting it; after all, it’s a tea time cake.
Since they provide a level surface, flat tops are ideal for icing and decorating a cake.
Thus, not a single piece of crumb goes to waste while trimming off a domed cake. It’s already flat, so no trimming is required.
But, still if you want a flat top in your Tutti Frutti cake perhaps to impress someone Then follow these two suggestions:
- If you beat the batter to the correct consistency & do not over beat it and follow all the basic rules that I already mentioned in this post you will get a flat top. (I did just that.)
- Instead, place some ice cubes on a separate baking sheet on the bottom rack of your oven while this cake bakes in the middle rack.
If you master these baking fundamentals, you will be able to master not just this Bakery style Tutti Frutti Cake recipe, but any cake recipe you attempt if the recipe does not fail you.
Hope you enjoy this light, spongy Tutty Fruity cake as much as we do! Good luck with your baking!
How to store a Tutti Frutti cake
After the cake has totally cooled. Slice it into desired pieces & store them in an air tight container in the fridge.
If you don’t want to cut the cake into pieces, cover it in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge.
That is excellent for 7 days if it lasts that long.
I’m not sure whether Tutti Frutti cake with eggs can be frozen since my cakes don’t live long enough to be frozen.
If you try freezing them, please share your experience in the comments section below.
Where can you buy Tutti Frutti
It is widely accessible at Indian grocery shops in the United States.
However, you may substitute the Indian variation with the American form of Tutti Frutti, which is available throughout the Christmas season at Walmart.
Love Baking? Don’t miss these from Foodies Terminal
How to make Tutti Frutti Cake (Step By Step)
- Begin By collecting & measuring your Ingredients.
- Beat the butter and sugar till pale, light, and fluffy.
- Next, beat in one egg at a time until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour-coated tutti frutti to the batter and fold gently with a rubber spatula without pushing out the air.
- Spoon the batter into a well-greased 8′′x5′′ baking pan, tap the pan to remove any air bubbles, and carefully smooth the surface of the batter with a rubber spatula.
- Bake well until a toothpick comes out clean.
Try this favorite of Meghna for Foodies Terminal
Best Tutti Frutti Cake Recipe
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Servings: 1 Loaf
Author: Meghna Chakraborty
Tutti Frutti Cake is a simple spongy vanilla loaf cake studded with brightly colored candied papaya chunks known as Tutti Frutti. It’s very easy to make with basic baking ingredients & it’s a much loved tea time cake that tastes best with a hot cuppa.
Want more Recipe Videos? Visit our YouTube channel!
- In a clean, dry bowl, cream the butter with a handheld mixer on medium speed.
- Add the powdered sugar and cream until the color changes to light white and the mixture becomes frothy and airy.
- Then, add one egg at a time, beating vigorously after each addition. At this time, the batter will be a light golden hue. As the eggs are being beaten, add the Vanilla Essence.
- Sift together the all-purpose flour or maida and the baking powder in a separate bowl and stir well.
- Then, add the aforesaid Maida or allpurpose flour + baking powder combination in 2-3 parts to the wet ingredients.
- Continue to mix on medium speed until the flour or maida is well combined with the wet ingredients.
- Now, add 1 tbsp maida to the tutti fruttis and coat them thoroughly with a spoon.
- Fold in the tutti frutti and lemon zest with a rubber spatula in a clockwise motion, being careful not to knock out the air from the batter.
- Butter or oil an 8.5-inch baking pan. Line it with a piece of parchment paper.
- Pre-Heat the oven at 350 F or 180 C.
- Spoon the batter carefully into the buttered pan, smoothing the top with a rubber spatula. Tap the tin on the counter to remove any air bubbles in the batter.
- Bake it for 30 minutes or longer at 350°F/180°C. Until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the cake.
NOTES: Refer the 14 Tricks section in the blog.
Measuring cup used, 1 cup = 240 ml & 1 teaspoon = 5 ml.
Cake Tin Used: 8″ X 5″
PLEASE NOTE: The nutritional figures are my best guesses. If you rely on them for your diet or special diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator!
Best Tutti Frutti Cake Recipe
Amount Per Serving (1 slice (76g))
Calories from Fat 90
% Daily Value*
Fat 10g 15%
Saturated Fat 5g 31%
Sodium 210mg 9%
Carbohydrates 45g 15%
Sugar 35g 39%
Protein 2g 4%
Calcium 60mg 6%
Iron 0.7mg 4%
* Please read our privacy statement – Calorie information is provided as a courtesy only and should be leveraged as an estimate rather than a guarantee. The %DV is calculated using a 2000 calorie diet.
1 slice (76g) | 280kcal | 45g carbohydrate | 2g protein | 10g fat | 5g saturated fat | 210mg sodium | 35g sugar | 60mg calcium | 0.7mg iron